Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, January 20, 2011

QT Black & White Quilt #1

It's a mystery.....
Quilter's and want-to quilters wanted.....

I am going to be making a traditional block mystery quilt and wanted to know if you would like to come along? I have been quilting for about 35 years, taught some classes and just really enjoy quilting. I like to get a pattern and change them to fit me and the mood I am in. My husband has spoiled me with anything I wanted or needed or thought that I needed to supply my quilting habit.

Now I want to share some of the things that I have learned along the way, do it from my home and have fun quilting together and make another quilt. This one is going to be about 54" by 62". A great quilt for cuddly up with a good book or watch a movie with. These are going to be 8 in. blocks...not to big...not to small.

First I want to show you my first 2 blocks...there will be 2 blocks about every 2 weeks.

Baby Bunting pg 40 RCQB
Fair and Square pg 103 RCQB
Every 2 weeks you will see 2 blocks to make.

Helpful hints and techniques

The 2 books I am using are Judy Hopkins 'Around the Block' (ATB) and '501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks' (RCQB).
All of the information is in there for different size blocks, all ready to use and get sewing.
But...

If you don't have the books you can draft all of these blocks for yourself, here is how I do it:
#1 Get yourself a sheet of plain paper or card stock and draw yourself a square. I am making 8 in. blocks so you would draw an 8 in block. You can draw any size block you want to make.
#2 Draw a grid with 3 lines across and 3 lines down.
#3 Trace over those lines with a black marker.
#4 Use double sided tape and tap the paper to a color poster paper. This will make it last longer.
#5 This is an option, but I took it to the copy store and had it laminated so it would last longer. Mine are about 20 to 25 years old and still works like new.
#6 Now with another piece of plain paper, lay it on top and trace your block design. You have your square so if you need a triangle, just draw another line. Sometimes it helps to make a colored pattern so you can see it better.
#7 Find out what the similar shapes are....Get another sheet of paper, Plastic template, or get out your Perfect Patchwork Templates from Marti Mitchell. Using one of the last two, you will never have to make the template again. I mark mine and put them in a bag or box. Trace that shape adding your seam allowance and you have your pattern.

This is what mine looks like:


You can make one of these for any grid and all sizes of quilt blocks you want to make and half of the work is done for you.

Fabric: I am using Black, White and a 'zinger' color of bright green. A zinger is something you use a little and is usually bright and colorful. I have wanted to make a black and white quilt for a long time....sooooo...now is the time. For a scrappy looks you could use all 30's prints or civil war fabrics. Remember what ever you do...more is better! The main idea is to choose fabrics you like, weather it is something you have always wanted to try or some of your favorites.

To start with, get yourself:
6 Fat quarters of color #1
6 Fat quarters of color #2
2 Fat quarters of color #3 your zinger
a fat quarters is a half of a yard of fabric cut in half. The quilt shops knows what this is.

You will need more....and remember....more fabric, the more scrappy it will look. Pick colors that you can get easily, so you can add to it at any time.

You can watch or quilt along with us. And you can even upload your blocks if you want to share with us. Just use the linky at the bottom of this post. The collection will be open for three months and all the blocks will be posted in the same collection.

If you have any questions or need help, just post the details in a comment and I'll answer it in post to help everyone. Just remember this is fun and we all need something to look forward too.



1 comment:

  1. You are one talented lady!! I, too, have been wanting to make a black and white quilt and I love the idea of a "zinger" color. I may just follow your lead!!

    ReplyDelete