Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

QT Black & White Quilt #10

We are here today with lesson #10 on the Black & White Quilt, so without anymore....here are the blocks:

Friendship Chain
Page 120
501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks by Judy Hopkins


Layout for Friendship Chain:


Coxey's Camp
Page 78
501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks by Judy Hopkins


Layout for Coxey's Camp


Broken Star
page 55
501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks by Judy Hopkins


Layout for Broken Star:


Year's Favorite
page 128
Around the Block by Judy Hopkins


Layout for Year's Favorite


The lesson is short and simple...When sewing triangles the sewing machine likes to eat up the points. Some tips and tricks for working with them is to sew off with other fabric or other quilt blocks you are working on. Sometimes it doesn't work that way, so I always lift my presser foot and start sewing right where the 2 pieces of fabric met (at the cross) and sew off the end. Then I press and cut of the tails so my block will look nice and I don't have any extra fabric than I need. The pictures following are samples of different triangles and how they are sewn, pressed and clipped. This first triangle you are starting with a point and ending with a point.


These have a flat end and a point end. It is always easier to turn your piecing and start with the flat end, which put you relaying out your block to make sure you are piecing it right.


I like to chain piece, but sometimes when you are just making 1 block that's hard to do. I will sew in sections too, so if there are multiple sections that are the same, I will sew them at the same time. I like having a little iron and ironing board next to my machine just for these time. Anytime you can save time or trouble with piecing, the more fun the project is. Please enjoy.

Don't forget you can leave a comment , ask a question, or add a picture of your quilt block here...



1 comment: